19 September, 2009

We Three - Jazz


I drew this sketch while listening to a beautiful jazz CD given to me by a wonderful violist (I am dedicating this picture to him). There are three musicians playing in it - a pianist, a bass player, and a drummer. I decided to represent them using three colours. The pianist is represented with a blue pen, the bass player with a green pen, and the drummer with a red pen. Whenever I could hear one of them playing, I'd draw in that colour. Sometimes I'd blend two colours. Later, my pens started to run out. No worries - this gave me an idea! I used a sort of cross-hatching technique that gave a very soft, blended appearance. It gave an interesting effect when in contrast with the crisp lines drawn with fresh pens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
-from the girl who has the "same" birthday as you

Ilana said...

Awwwww!!! Thank you!

But "our" birthdays were yesterday! ;-)

Anonymous said...

no. "our" birthdays were on the 23rd, because that's my birthday!
The 22nd is "our" birthday too!
we get two cakes!

Ilana said...

Haha - you have such a great sense of humour! Too much cake though. ;-)